Rheumatoid arthritis, an inflammatory disease that affects the joints of hands and feet, particularly the synovial joints, causes acute pain and swelling, ultimately resulting in joint deformities and bone erosion. It is an autoimmune disorder which is triggered when the immune system of our body mistakenly starts attacking our tissues. Apart from the joints of hands and feet, rheumatoid arthritis can also affect the organs including skin, eyes, lungs, and blood vessels. Although arthritis is commonly found among those beyond the age of forty, it needn’t be the same in every case.
According to Ayurveda, Vata dominance or aggression is the main cause of arthritis. Upon aggravation, Vata combines with Ama, otherwise known as toxin, and gets accumulated in various joints of our body, thus causing ‘Amavata’. Improper digestion is one of the main causes of accumulation of Ama, or undigested toxic material.
1. Ayurvedic method - As Ama and Vata are the main causative factors, a long term remedy for arthritis should include some in-depth treatment methods to digest Ama and reduce Vata. The digestion should slowly improve from time to time, thus reducing the production of Ama, so that no further Ama is created in the long run. This is a slow, steady, and gradual method, and involves a series of authentic ayurvedic treatments.
2. Fasting is highly essential to boost the digestion of Ama. Fasting can either be complete or be partial.
3. Light exercises should complement the daily ayurvedic treatments. The amount and intensity of exercises can vary from person to person, depending on their limits.
4. Liberal intake of fruit juices that are rich in Vitamin C will help enhance the effectiveness of the ayurvedic anti-arthritis treatments. Vitamin C is highly essential to reduce skeletal pain.
5. Commiphora wightii, commonly known as Guggal, is a highly effective herb to cure arthritis. Based on its availability, Guggal can be taken in one to three gram doses, twice a day, with warm water, right after meals. But make sure to note that Guggal is not recommended for those with kidney diseases or allergies.
1. Fish such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna – Include fishes in your diet, particularly herring, salmon, mackerel, and sardine, as they are rich on omega 3 fatty acids that help reduce the symptoms of arthritis to a huge extent.
2. Arthritis patients should never fail to include ginger in their food, as it can help cure various rheumatic, neurological, and musculoskeletal illnesses. Having around 5 grams of fresh ginger, about three times a day, can help boost digestion, and thus reduce the formation of Ama
3. Turmeric- A primary compound in turmeric, curcumin has strong anti-inflammatory effects that help avoid morning stiffness and joint swellings, along with boosting the walking capacity of arthritis patients. According to experts, about 2 weeks of curcumin supplementation (roughly 1200 mg per day) can guarantee better results when compared to the after-effect of having phenylbutazone for two weeks (about 300 mg of phenylbutazone per day).
4. Garlic is widely used in several Ayurvedic medicines, particularly in the anti-arthritis drugs that help relieve the symptoms of arthritis markedly. According to ayurvedic experts, garlic is highly effective in reducing arthritis pain, as it can help prostaglandins control the inflammation and subsequent pain.
Raw juice of potato or bitter gourd have been proven highly effective in reducing arthritis symptoms. Celery, especially its fluid extract, can help decrease arthritis related illness. Green stalk of rhubarb is another beneficial food with immense arthritis healing power.